Monday, August 29, 2011

City to Surf Half Marathon

Yesterday I participated in the Perth City to Surf Half Marathon. It was the first time I had taken part in the C2S and it was an awesome experience!

Runners start the City to Surf
42,000+ people participated in the 6 events over the day

Saturday 27th  August was the one year anniversary of the passing of Greg Childs, a relation to the Luckin's. We all wore blue shirts embroidered 'In Memory of Greg' during the race.

I am not in this photo as I was already off and running - the half marathon was an hour before the 12km walk that everyone else participated in.

I did not really have a time in mind or any particular goal for the race, just to go under 1.30. My training has been going well and did not ease up for this race as it was purely a training run - the focus is all for December. My legs were defiantly not fresh going into the race as Johan, Helen and I all got out on Saturday and did our long ride in the hills (160km).

The half marathon course is awesome, taking us from St Georges Terrace in the Perth CBD, up Malcolm Street, through Kings Park, through Subiaco, Perry Lakes to City Beach. The weather was amazing and the 42,000+ participates made for a great atmosphere!

I had a reasonable run, finishing in 1.27.52, with my GPS showing an average of 4.10 min/km. Happy enough with the result considering the fatigue in my legs, but I could feel the lack of hill running up the hills - there a lots of them! Time to get back to Helena Valley for my long Sunday runs I think.

I am now 4 weeks into the ironman preparation and my riding and running are coming along really well. I am starting to feel strong on the bike again and I am really enjoying the long rides we are doing on Saturday. Swimming has been a bit of a struggle over the past few weeks and I believe this is a result of the increase in my bike and run training. I am confident that over the next few weeks my swimming will bounce back... stronger than ever!

Week 4 Training
Swim - 11.5km
Bike - 270km
Run - 71km





No comments:

Post a Comment