I made the decision a few months ago to kick off my 2013 season at the inaugural Ironman 70.3 Auckland. The race has a lot on offer... It is the Asian Pacific Championship and has qualifying spots to both the Ironman 70.3 World Championship and the big one... the Ironman World Championship in Hawaii. My goal this season is to qualify for Hawaii and I have chosen two races which offer qualifying spots (Auckland 70.3 & Ironman Cairns)… I’m heading to Auckland for one reason!
My training block leading into this race has been solid with some really specific half ironman work on the bike and run to get me firing for this race. I am confident with my physical preparation and am looking forward to getting back to some fast racing!
For those interested (and have a spare 10 minutes) checkout the video fly through the course. The event organisers have done an excellent job putting this video together.
I would like to thank everyone who has supported me and continues to support me chase my goals! In no particular order:
· Lisa – Is by far the most important person in my support crew. No words can describe the unqualified support she gives me and I will be forever grateful.
· My family – Dad, Mum, Lauren and my (future) in-laws the Luckin’s; Dave, Teresa, Mark and Kate. Love you all!
· LMW Hegney – The unconditional support I get from my workplace allows me to chase my goals while still paying off a mortgage. Thanks for the kind words!
· Team Break Your Limits/K-Swiss – The BYL crew welcomed me into the team in 2012 and I am really grateful for the opportunity to join such a great group of people. It comes with the added bonus of training and racing in the super comfortable and awesome K-Swiss shoes! A BIG thank you to Bill Scanlan for getting me to the start line in good shape!
· Total Triathlon – Chad and Dan with the assistance of triathlon guru Stuart Durham have supported me with all my triathlon needs. Looking forward to working with TT in the future! If you have not been to the shop I recommend you stick your head in, much better then shopping online (although they do have that facility if you need). Support the locals who support the sport.
· Schnell – What can I say, these wheels are FAST. Thanks to Karl for all his support and belief in me. Looking forward to pushing the limits on the wheels on Sunday.
· CEEPO– I was introduced to the CEEPO bikes by Ian Mansfield in 2011 and I have not looked back. I am racing on the Venom once again (a personal favourite). Thanks to Marc-Andre for the added incentive to get the ‘golden ticket’ to Kona.