Sunday, September 9, 2012

Ironman 70.3 World Championship - Pre Race

We have arrived safely into Las Vegas after a long 36 hour travel day (Perth > Auckland > Los Angeles > Las Vegas). Lisa and I left the rain and hail storms of Perth on Tuesday afternoon and began our journey to the USA. As we descended into ‘Sin City’ the light glow of the famous Las Vegas Strip was mind boggling... We are going to have some fun there after the race!! In true Las Vegas style we were greeted by pokies as we walked off the aeroplane.


On Thursday (our first full day) the day was spent registering, driving on the wrong side of the road, checking out the expo, getting pulled over by police and a quick bike drive of the bike course. The bike course on offer is worthy of a World Championship course and will be a true test tomorrow. The course is spectacular and the landscape we will be riding through is stunning.

Yes, you read correctly in the previous paragraph... I drove on the wrong side of the road and was pulled over by police (these were two separate incidents!). The first is self explanatory. After driving at home for so many years, it is easy to forget you are driving on the opposite side of the road. Thankfully there were no cars coming in the other direction (remember, if your turning right, keep it tight). Shortly after this, I was pulled over by a stereotypical American cop (think of Chief Wiggam). The reason for this is I did not let pedestrians get off the pedestrian walk before driving through, an offence that we later read in the paper that local police are now targeting... my bad!

Friday was a relaxing day with a quick bike/run and swim followed by some relaxing down by the pool. It was nice to chill out, with no work on my mind and the race far enough away that I was not in ‘race mode’. After lunch Lisa and I went and met up with my Mum and Dad who have come over to support us at the race. I am also lucky enough to have some family from Texas make the trip over to Vegas to support us. A big thank you to Charles, Amalee, Bronwyn and Gillian for making the effort to come over!  

This morning (Saturday) started with a quick swim/bike/run to keep things ticking over before it was time to pick up Lisa’s parents, Teresa and Dave who also made the trip over to support us.
 
The race has two separate transition areas making the logistics of the race a little difficult. We gathered our support crew and went to T2 to drop off our run bags and show them where the finish line is. The rest of the morning/afternoon was spent relaxing and putting the final touches on the race bike.

A late bike check in and an early dinner was on the cards this evening and I am now in bed, itching to get going!

The journey to the Ironman 70.3 World Championship has been an interesting one for be over the last three months. There have been some highs and lows in all aspects of my preparation but I happy to be here, fit and healthy and ready to race as hard as I can. The course will be tough and the competition even tougher.

Thanks to those who have supported me throughout my short triathlon career and a big thanks to my family (including the Luckins) who made the journey to Vegas to support Lisa and I.

Race start is in 12 hours!
 
Final pre race ride sporting the new BYL Cycling Kit

Not a bad bike rack

Lisa locked and loaded
 

No comments:

Post a Comment