Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 2


I was awake at 7am after a solid 10 hour sleep. Just what I needed after a long day yesterday! The plan for today was to drive to Hapuna Beach, which is a 40min drive from town and where the swim/T1 for the race will be. From there we rode up to Hawi, which is approximately 35km away and it was windy… I know Hawaii is known for its wind, but today (and the previous few days) was particularly bad according to Kate, Guy and was backup up by Linsey Corbin… Welcome to Hawaii Andrew. 

The climb itself to Hawi is not that difficult, however the cross winds on the ascent and in particular decent make it very tough. If the conditions are similar on race day it will be difficult to drink and get gels down so I will have to pay very close attention and stay focused on my nutrition plan.

We stopped in at the Mauni Lani resort for some lunch and a quick swim before drive back along the Queen K to town. I went for a quick 30min trundle along the famous Alii Drive in my K-Swiss K-Onas, they felt right at home! Running along Alii Drive was very motivating.

A few beers at the Kona Brewing Company in the evening and my first full day in Kona was almost finished.

My body is feeling good and I have adjusted well to the time zone change. The plan for tomorrow will be an early swim from the pier followed by an easy ride another short run. I will go and explore town tomorrow afternoon!







No comments:

Post a Comment