Thursday, October 29, 2009

Race Report - Support Event to the ITU World Long Course Triathlon Champs

This sprint distance race was held on Sunday 25 October 2009 and was the support event to the ITU World Long Course Triathlon Championships.

Race morning was really windy which I was a little worried about with a disc on the back of my bike. I got set up in transition quickly and went for a bit of a warm up jog.

The swim was 750m in the Swan River. We started up near the Bell Tower and headed towards Herrison Island. In my wave start was males 20-35, so there were a few bodies around. I was up the front for the start and when the gun went got off to a great start. We were fighting against the wind chop and current which made for some slow times. The field was really spread out on different lines going into the first turning can. I exited the water in 5th place in 12.31, down on the leaders by about 1.30.

A quick transition and I was flying out to the UWA turn around. We had a strong tail wind going down and I was making up ground on the leaders. At the turn around I was able to see how much time I needed to make up. Going back along mounts bay road was a hard grind into the head wind. I worked really hard and caught a few guys. On to the Freeway heading towards Canning Highway I was passed by one competitor and then I passed the guy who was initially leading. I was sitting in second place comftable. The ride on the freeway was great fun and fast considering the strong winds. It was hard work but with the disc on the back once it was going it was easy to keep up to speed. Coming back over the Narrows Bridge was the only hairy bit as the wind was really gusty. I was blown around a bit but once over the it was smooth sailing back to transition. I finished the bike in 31.52 and second in my category.

I left transition fast, maybe a little to fast. I was gaining on the guy who was leading. The run was flat and pretty windy. I worked hard on the run and eventually passed by my training partner at about half way putting me into third. I managed to pull back into second place in the last km and we were running stride for stride. We were both surging trying to break away from each other. With about 100m to go I kicked again and managed to break away. I was 50 seconds down on the winner.


I finished in second place in 1.05.25 and was really happy with the result. At the presentations we were presented out medallions by the Hawaii Ironman World Champion Craig Alexander which was a pretty awesome way to finish a good day.

My next race is the Anaconda Adventure Race in Augusta which is on Sunday 8 November.

Cheers,

Andy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andrew i am your biggest fan, when are you going to write another blog?? i love reading them so much!!

    Regards Anonymous

    ReplyDelete