Saturday, January 15, 2011

Reflections

I'm sitting in the Melbourne Airport waiting to check into my flight home. I have used this as an opportunity to reflect on the past 2 weeks and assess where I am at in achieving the goals I have set myself.


Firstly, the Port of Tauranga half ironman last weekend. It was a great race for me, finishing 2nd in a personal best time and more importantly, did a PB run split. I also travelled over with Mark, who came 3rd (only 2mins behind me, I was running scared!) also in a PB time. Well worth the trip for both of us!


I had a solid swim time (28.28) for the 2km. This equates to roughly 27.00 for 1.9km. I ideally would like that to come down to 25 over the coming months. I think I can achieve this by doing a few longer open water swims at race pace.


I had a reasonable ride but probabally pushed the first 20km a little hard. 2.18 and some change, similar time to Busso last year, on a slightly slower course. I'm thinking a power metre is going to be the next logical investment. I really believe (after research and Campbells presentation) that it is the most valuable tool for cycling! (maybe mum and dad will sponsor me one...?).


My running kms were down leading into the race as I was recovering from an archillies injury. Given my run preparation, I was happy with the time. I do however have a lot of room for improvement, but the important thing is it is going in the right direction!


I nailed my nutrition during the race (Leppin gels rock) and felt really strong throughout the 4 and a half hours I was out on the course.


The next part of my trip involved a training camp with Team LSDsports.com in the Victorian Alps (Falls Creek). It was well worth the effort to make the camp as I learnt so much valuable information from some amazing athletes. The people, training, location, scenery were AMAZING and I feel really privileged to be a part of the team!


I didn't do any of the intense sessions as recovery from the half was more important (2 more half ironmans to go this season!).


For me, the training highlights included:
1. Riding in the clouds on Tuesday afternoon.
2. Running through the misty clouds to the highest point in the area.
3. Riding the 30km climb to Falls Creek.


The weather throughout the week wasn't great, but considering the flooding the the rest of the East Coast has experienced over the past couple of weeks I am in no position to complain. Is was wet, but the humidity kept it warm throughout the week. Of course the day we left (today) it is warm and sunny!


Thanks to Tony, Cam, Bojana and Kristy from LSDsports for organising such a great camp and also to all the great team members who made it such an awesome experience! Thanks the the coaching and advise everyone shared with me! It has given me confidence in my ability and will help in my preparation to the Busselton Ironman in December.


I'm looking forward to getting home and spending some time with Lisa before building up to the Singapore 70.3 in March!

No comments:

Post a Comment